Mental Health Professionals’ Network (MHPN) practitioner networks offer Primary Health Network (PHN) colleagues the chance to give a local network an overview of their service, or to speak about a PHN priority area or areas.
We support 472 network coordinators in 365 networks across Australia of which 166 are specific-interest networks that can intersect with PHN priority areas.
MHPN interdisciplinary practitioner networks are an ideal forum for sector networking; information and knowledge-sharing; building a sense of community; and working together to improve patient outcomes.
In this article, we provide a snapshot of themes and meeting topics that were popular with networks in 2020.
We encourage our PHN colleagues to join and speak at a mental health network or start a mental health network with help and funding from MHPN.
Find out how Western Australia Primary Health Alliance (WAPHA) interacts with the local mental health community through MHPN networks: bit.ly/3lQGBAu
An overview of interdisciplinary network meeting topics
- The Hills Mental Health Interagency Network, NSW: Presentation by WentWest PHN network
- Cairns Older Persons Mental Health Network, QLD: Delirium Demystified – SIGN 157 Guideline Recommendations
- Port Hedland Mental Health Network, WA: ‘Who is Out There in Hedland?’ – a series of Lightning Talks on available services in the Mental Health/Wellbeing space
- Sydney North PHN, NSW: 1. Live screening: The Long Goodbye 2. Suicide in Late Life: The Impact of COVID-19
- Sunshine Coast Older Persons Mental Health, QLD: Sexuality and gender
- Goulburn Valley/Hume Older Persons Mental Health, VIC: Data sets and demographic data for Shepparton services, and an overview of My Aged Care and Aged Care Services
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- Shoalhaven Child & Adolescent Mental Health, NSW: The Nabu Program and the Aboriginal perspective
- Mid North Coast Complex Trauma, NSW: A Visual Perspective about Intergenerational Trauma – with an Aboriginal Cultural Lenswith relevance to all of us
- Adelaide African, Indigenous and CALD Mental Health, SA:
1. Suicide prevention and Aboriginal health
2. The impact of the Centrelink job seeker system on the African, Indigenous and the CALD members of the community - A Psychologist's Perspective
Critical incidents – COVID-19 pandemic and natural disasters
- Townsville Mental Health Network, QLD: Supporting each other in the time of COVID-19
- Wellington Mental Health Network, VIC: Bushfire Recovery, COVID-19 Isolation & Recovery (Transitioning Out from COVID 19) and COVID-19: Exit Strategies
- Wheatbelt Mental Health Network and The Great Southern Network (Albany), WA: COVID-19 and the fourth wave of a pandemic: managing changes in AOD use and mental health
- Bunbury Autism Mental Health Network, WA: Telehealth challenges and benefits: how practitioners have coped providing support
- Midland Mental Health Network, WA: Telehealth and Innovative Practice – Keeping Connections with Clients
Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Central Adelaide and Hills Psychosocial NDIS Communities of Practice, SA: Supporting people with AOD needs
- Metro South Dual Diagnosis Mental Health Network, Brisbane, QLD: The role of the peer worker in AOD
- Northern Perinatal and Infant Mental Health Network, VIC: Parenting and Borderline Personality Disorder - the Impact of Attachment-Related Trauma
- Brisbane Youth Complex Trauma: An evidence-based perspective on the drivers of better educational outcomes for children in out-of-home care
- Newcastle Veteran-Focussed Mental Health Network: Mental health amongst first responder teams, emergency clinicians and local communities: strength, support, and what works when seeing a practitioner
- Perth Complex Trauma Mental Health Network: Implementing the recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse in WA
Suicidality and suicide prevention
- Logan Suicide Prevention Mental Health Network, QLD: Understanding Suicidality in the Context of Culture, Migration and Settlement
- Adelaide African, Indigenous and CALD Mental Health Network, SA: Suicide prevention and Aboriginal health
Pain and mental health
- Huonville Mental Health Network /Primary Health Tasmania: The Role of Psychology in the Multidisciplinary Management of Chronic Pain
- Newcastle Persistent Pain and Mental Health Journal Club, NSW: How support and psychological factors influence outcomes for people with chronic pain
- Hobart Eating Disorders Mental Health Network, TAS: Update on ED residential care facility and filling the gaps in service
- Perth Eating Disorders Mental Health Network, WA: Centre for Clinical Interventions - Programs update reviewing CBT10, CBT Program, FBT program, Imagery Rescripting
- Frankston & Peninsula Transcultural Mental Health Network, VIC: Eating Disorders Treatment with guest speaker Professor Richard Newton who is the Clinical Director of Peninsula Health Mental Health Service, a board member at the Butterfly Foundation and an Adjunct Professor at Monash University.
Perinatal and infant mental health
- Gold Coast Perinatal and Infant Mental Health Network, QLD: Delivery of perinatal and infant mental services in the time of COVID: A peer support and networking meeting for practitioners
- PIGLET (Perinatal and Infant Group – Liaison, Education and Training) Mental Health Network, Adelaide: Men's grief following pregnancy loss and neonatal death and ‘Reduced length of hospital stay after caesarean section’, followed by a facilitated discussion on workplaces during COVID-19 and a reading of international literature